New Look 6000 - my new fave

Tuesday 5 July 2011
I don't look at the pattern catalogues all that often since I already own more than a lifetime's worth of sewing patterns, but when I saw this gorgeous dress made by Mushywear in blue and then by Livebird in a vibrant red I just knew I had to have this pattern.  And since Spotlight was having a sale on patterns last week I took it as a sign to go and buy this pattern:


It's New Look 6000 which has many positive reviews over on pattern review and I'm certainly giving it my big tick of approval.  I even stepped out of my comfort zone and sewed this with a knit fabric, albeit a ponti de roma which is such a stable knit that it sews like a woven would anyway.  And here's my finished dress:



It's actually a rather straightforward pattern despite the lovely details so it didn't take too long to make, and sewing with a knit fabric certainly helped that along as the fit doesn't need to be so precise since the fabric can stretch to match the curves.  I cut out a size 8 on top grading out to a size 12 in the bottom even though according to the measurements I should have used a size 18 on the bottom.  This dress has 9cm (3in) of ease built into the pattern which I think is alot for a dress of this style, and since I was using a knit fabric I figured minimal ease would work.  And it did, look at this side view to see how snug the fit is (with no sway back alteration at all):


Although it's not that snug under *ahem* my bottom, the wind had just started blowing which is also why the collar has flipped up at the back.  It also explains the look on my face - it was cold outside without a jacket on!

The pattern doesn't instruct you to interface the collars, and I left it out because I thought that six layers of fabric at that centre front neckline (the two collars, dress and facing) would be thick enough without two layers of interfacing as well.  But now I think I should have because the collar is a little floppy and I find myself adjusting it frequently, for a knit fabric like this it would have better staying power if it was reinforced.

I didn't sew on a button on the collar as per the pattern because I wanted to wear it with one of my many brooches instead, but of course today I forgot to wear one! It still looks good without button or brooch though.

The sleeve cuffs are interfaced, and they sit much better than the collar.  I used some fabric covered buttons for the cuffs which I think works well with the sixties style of the dress.



The only thing I don't like about this dress is that I made it unlined as per the pattern instructions.  Normally I do line all my dresses because I think it makes them more substantial and I always wear pantyhose to work so it is necessary.  But I didn't have any stretch lining in the stash, and I didn't want to interfere with the stretch of the dress fabric so I left it out.  I've worn it today to work with a body shaping slip underneath, but I can still feel the hem of the dress sticking to my knees and riding up a little as I walk.  A lining would also eliminate the flippy floppy neckline facing too.  The next version I make (and yes I am already going through the stash to find the right fabric) I will make a full lining and eliminate the facings.

But all in all I love this dress, particularly this deep purple colour - I wasn't brave enough to go red like the pattern photograph but the purple is still an eye catching colour.  I particularly like the elbow length sleeves which are just perfect for winter and very flattering too. 

And aren't these photos great too? I wish I could claim credit for them, but they aren't my new found skills in action but rather those of my very talented colleague Ann who took these photos outside our office for me this morning - I thought you'd all appreciate a different background to my living room for a change!  That's the Hyde Park Barracks you can see behind me, a convict building built in 1819 and is now World Heritage listed (and that's history lesson for today!).

42 comments:

  1. That's a fabulous dress. The colour looks great on you. Did you sew it up on your new overlocker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fantastic. I love the collar and the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is easy to see why this is your new favourite. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning, love the colour and now I'm off to purchase a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! The shape and the color are so becoming to you. I can see why it's your new fave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, very sharp! Perfect color for you, and the fit is fabulous. You're right - that collar is begging for a brooch!
    Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress looks fabulous on you and the colour is just scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is by far the nicest thing you've made. Love the purple - in fact was down at Spotlight today and had to stop myself from buying some of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a fabulous dress - I really love the collar. Beautiful photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This colour is gorgeous on you. Beautiful dress.

    Do knit linings work? I've be wondering about them altely because I have some knit lining and a soft powermesh and was wondering how they are used.

    ReplyDelete
  11. definately a beautiful you in that colour!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, this is gorgeous! The colour is just fabulous on you, and the details on the dress make it look very chic, I think I might have to look that pattern out...

    What sort of knits do you use as a lining?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a fabulous dress and your look fantastic. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a pretty dress in a wonderful colour!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That color is so warm and pretty!
    Love the pattern... may have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Kristy, another fantastic winner in style and colour! I see why it's a new fav. It is so flattering on you and the photos are really lovely. It's a really lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a beautiful dress on you. The eggplant color is very striking with your red hair. I'm glad you read you plan to make another one as this dress looks like it was designed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a great dress - the colour and fit are super flattering on you! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks fantastic on you and yes you definitely should make more of these!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE the dress. It's gorgeous on you, that purple is such a stunning colour! The details of the sleeves and collar add just enough personality to it. Great piece for the office over your usual suit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sister. This might be my new fave!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. You made a beautiful dress. It is very flattering on you and I love the color. I am going to have to try out the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This dress looks fantastic! I love the collar and the color - the purple is so pretty on you! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This dress fits you so well!!! You look so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this dress. It fits you so well

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that dress. It is so classy and your shoes are fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. If I had a dress that looked as good as this one I'd have a closet full. Wonderful dress and fantastic color.

    ReplyDelete
  28. If you're worried about the skirt riding up when you wear stockings, why not try an old-fashioned petticoat or petti-skirt underneath? The style really suits your body shape. If you interface the collar of the next version, try whisperweft (but wash first because it shrinks) and grade the seam allowances to reduce the bulk.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kristy, that is absolutely one of the most flattering dresses I recall ever seeing you in. It suits you beautifully.

    And I should also tell you that of all the blogs I read, yours is my favourite. When I see you've posted something, I save it until the last to read :-)

    Tully

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous! I have shied away from New Look because the one pattern I tried was HUGE on the smallest size and I didn't feel like having to grade down the patterns. But this fits you perfectly and we are the same size. So I will be copying you eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It seems like I have to add this pattern to my shopping list. And that's too bad because I already have too many patterns for the little sewing I do. But your dress looks fantastic. I especially like the sleeve cuffs. And the colour is great!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ohhh, I am so glad to see this dress made :) It is in my sewing basket and I was a bit hesitant to do it, but now, it will be one to make for the winter - thanks!

    By the way....it looks great ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fantastic dress! It fits you perfectly and the color is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That looks amazing. Makes me feel really inadequate that I can't even manage to hem some pants into shorts to survive the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is the most fabulous dress on you. The collar and cuffs are very smart and the colour is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous dress. Love the details and color suits you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your purple version of this dress is marvelous. I am thinking of making a version with the sleeves too. I just ordered some rayon fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics, that I plan to use. Thanks so much for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you for your comment on my blog today Kristy! I feel I have been visited by blogging royalty!

    I love this dress and own the pattern--it's going onto my short list!! I too enjoy reading about dealing with swayback and it sounds like this one needs no adjustment at all. The purple fabric is luscious and the fit is fabric!! I adore sewing with double knits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. The pattern and colour it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful; I love this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is a gorgeous dress! It suits you perfectly. I just discovered your blog and have spent a while reading back through many entries - your style is wonderful! I'm new to sewing generally and am in awe at the many people who give so much of their time to share their skills with everyone else online, so thanks!

    I'm curious, if you ever get time to share in a future blog post, as to how you adjust the pattern to a different size on top and bottom. I have similar proportions, and though I've read a lot about grading, I'm not as yet really sure how it works in practice!

    I look forward to keeping up with your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete